Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Police

The Police are going to be playing at HersheyPark Stadium and Christo and I are going to try and get tickets. I don't suppose it will be that hard to get tickets - The Rolling Stones played there and it was quite easy to get those tickets. And they are the most famous band in the WORLD.

I know what a lot of you are thinking - "Mike, you are handsome and slender, but I never knew you were a Police fan." Well, you are right, I am not much of a Police fan. I've always liked them, but never really went nuts for them. They are, however, an iconic band who were very very talented. And I think I want to see them just for that reason. Kind of like the Stones - the first time I saw the Stones, I didn't even own an album of theirs, but I wanted to see them. (And after seeing them live, I wanted to see them again... and if they tour again, I will want to see them again.)

For that same reason, I always wanted to see the Grateful Dead and Ramones. I can not stand the Dead, but they were legends and it would have been cool to have just seen them. Same deal with the Ramones - they started punk rock, you gotta go see a band like that. But, despite the oppurtunity to see both of those bands on several occasions, I never did.

And for that same reason, I am glad that I can say that I saw the following musicians/bands that I like but am not entirely crazy about:
Pearl Jam
Smashing Pumpkins (worst live band ever)
Arlo Guthrie
The Rolling Stones
Marilyn Manson

Here is the list of bands I've had the chance to see, but didn't, and will never get to see:
Nirvana
Grateful Dead

Band I wish I'd at least have been given the chance to see:
Led Zeppelin

Band I need to see at some point in my life:
U2

Bands who I could have seen and are considered 'great' but I think blow:
The Who

So, I will hopefully get to see The Police even though I don't particularly care that much for Sting himself... he seems like kind of a jerk and when he was on the 1988 Amnesty International Tour with Bruce Springsteen, Peter Gabriel, Yousou N'Dour, and Tracey Chapman, he always had this look on his face like he was better than everyone else on the tour.
Item 1: Musically speaking, he wasn't the most best person on the tour, that was Peter Gabriel.
Item 2: Sales-wise, he wasn't the most popular person on the tour, that was Bruce.
Item 3: Connection-to-the-suffering-of-people-in-the-third-world-wise, he wasn't even close to Yousou N'dour despite his trips to save the rain forest, etc etc.
Item 4: Popularity-wise, he wasn't the most most famous person on the tour - that would have been Yousou N'Dour. Yousou N'Dour couldn't walk down the street in any city in all of Africa without being mobbed. He is like Muhammed Ali over there.

One last list:
Musicians I have seen at the HersheyPark Stadium
Bob Dylan
Red Hot Chili Peppers with the Foo Fighters
Rolling Stones

I find it hard to believe that I have see this many great musicians in Hershey PA.

Peace

1 comment:

Kristin Zecchinelli said...

RHCP and Foo Fighters at 1 time? you suck! i am jealous as usual of your many musical outings. i hope you do get tickets i think they would be good too. - kristin z maybe you shuld donate those fun tickets to your lovely wife and her very cool friend, ME