Friday, July 27, 2007

"Ch"

So Dritsas visited on Saturday and we were talking about the town he in which he grew up: Cheltenham.

He pronounced the 'ch' as if it was the same as the "ch" in church, or change.
I pronounced the 'ch" as if it was more like a "sh," Sheltenham.

He deemed himself correct on the pronunciation merely because he is from there, but I begged to differ and differ I did.

He threw out words such as church, chill, cheese, chap, cheeky, cherry, and challenge. As if he were challenging me to refute his claims of the correct pronunciation of Cheltenham.

I cheerfully came back with the following: Charlotte, Cheryl, Cherise, Chicago, and Champlain.

Please note that all the words I listed are proper nouns, implying that proper nouns of course, use the "sh" sound instead of the harsher "ch" sound.

Of course, I thought I had won the argument when I realized there are cities called Chester, Chattanooga, Charlestown, and Chickamauga. And of course there is a little country called China.

So I went on the internet and did some research and googled "Cheltenham Pronunciation." and that gave me a brief history of Cheltenham England. It also has an audio clip of how to pronounce "Cheltenham."

And so, as it turns out, Dritsas was correct.

But I am not done with the letter "c" just yet. I just want to say that I have always disliked the letter "c" because it is so wishy-washy. Not only can you use it as a "chuh" and "sh" sound, but it can also be used as a "k" sound as in Christopher, and chronology. It's like C is to much of a wimp to stand up for itself and say "this is how I sound."
I would like to add that all three of the sounds it makes can, in fact, be made by other letters.
Church could be respelled as jurj. Sound it out, it is practically the same.
Cheryl could be respelled as Sheryl.
And Christopher could be respelled as Kristopher.

Therefore, in the interest of simplisity, I move that all use of the letter "see" be halted immediately. Klearly, there is no further need for a kompletely usless konsonant in our vernakular. Wouldn't it be nise to have an alphabet with 25 letters. 25 is a square number, it is mathematikally pleasing to have 25 instead of 26 letters.

I am not asking you to throw away your keyboards in antisipation of the new 25-letter keyboards, obvioulsy it will take some time for the "Be Free of 'See'" movement to take off, but I am asking you to do your part. For example: if you send a Kristmas Kard to my brother and his family, write "Kristopher Holland and Family" on it.

That is all for now.
Pease.
Mikal Holland

P.S. I am not a krakpot.

5 comments:

Maureen said...

Awesome post, Mike. Although, your inklusion of the word Chickamauga made me pause and kurse Dad for that awful Sivil War vakation! Anyhoo, I'm onboard with your "Be Free of 'See'" kampaign!

Anonymous said...

'C' bites the dust. Kan 'X' be far behind?

Anonymous said...

You really don't have enough to do with your spare time...new baby will cure you of that I am sure..wink

Anonymous said...

Kount me in!It already feels good to be free of see.

Patrik M. Holland
Pres.Buk Hollow Hunting Klub

Anonymous said...

HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From Your Favorite Kousin,
Molly